Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Response on Reich

In “Why the Rich Are Getting Richer and the Poor, Poorer,” Robert Reich talks about businesses in America trying to get more money. He gives examples of how companies hire people from other countries for a lower price. Before those companies hired foreign people, American workers used to be employed by them. These employees were fired and replaced by foreigners, who work for less. According to Reich, the employees, who are considered the “poor” people in America, are getting poorer because businesses are firing them for cheaper labor. The “rich” people, the ones who run these businesses, are getting richer because they are getting more of a profit for a cheaper price. He also says that although the number of jobs available is growing, the percentage of people who belong to a union has been declining since the 1960s. There is now a demanding number of people working for foreign owned companies. There are also a great number of companies who have foreign employees working for them. Reich also says that America’s businesses have now turned into a global enterprise.
After reading the article by Reich, I came to the conclusion that he had a lot of important things to say. Although his article was interesting, I felt it was very repetitive. I believe that Reich had a great point to his article, because it did keep me entertained, at first. After a while, I felt like he was saying the same things over and over again, it just got old. When I first started reading it, I thought to myself, Reich is a good writer. As a read more of the article, I found it was too long and he over exaggerated his main points.

No comments: