Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Response Paper on Cofer

In “The Myth of the Latin Woman: I Just Met a Girl Named Maria,” Judith Ortiz Cofer writes about how it is being a Latina. Cofer tells about how it was hard to fit in because her culture is so different from the American culture and how she is often stereotyped. Her parents were overprotective, they spoke in Spanish, they were strict Catholics, and they bought their food at a “bodega.” The music and how people dressed at festivities were different than Americans as well. Cofer also talks about how Puerto Ricans dressed in flashy clothing that showed some skin because that was how they dressed on their island. Although people may often see them as dressed inappropriately, their strict Catholic religion proved that they were still pure. Cofer then goes on explaining how men attract women on the island by performing erotic poems. She also explains how people have often mistaken her for a maid, since most Latin women are housemaids. Cofer is glad that she has an education so you can prove the Latin stereotypes wrong.
After reading this article, I would completely agree with Cofer, Latin women are always stereotyped. Although it may not be as bad now as it was before, those stereotypes are still going to be there, one way or another. Being that I am Latin as well, I can understand how Cofer feels to a certain extent. Now that we live in a generation where minorities are more expectable to the society, I don’t think I’m stereotyped as much as I would have been 20 or 30 years ago. If I wasn’t the one being stereotyped, I have witnessed someone around me from my ethnic background being stereotyped. Although I am Hispanic, I don’t think I fit the typical stereotype because I’m very “Americanized.” However, I can relate to how Cofer feels about being stereotyped.

No comments: